Friday, May 29, 2009

Online vs Offline: In search of a new Printer

In search of a new Printer - An Inkjet All-in-one Printer.

Prior to the purchase, did all the research online , went to buy offline, but it was disappointing. Read on..

My search online was easy - My need was an all-in-one device which can print, scan and copy. The device should have photo printing capability with ample scan resolution. I also wanted some add on features like usb/pendrive printing and memory card support. Wifi and external display were some added look outs. I had three choices of brands - hp, Canon and Samsung. After a preliminary browsing I dropped Samsung and settled for hp/Canon. The printer-finder wizard in the hp India website helped me a lot. hp offered several models of which I choose three -4400 series, 4500 series, and F700 series. All the three was priced below 8000/-. The 4500 series had premium features like the wifi, sd card support etc. The F700 was specially designed with lowcost catridges.

Canon did not have a diverse range as that of hp but had some good quality photoprinters like MP245, MP486, etc with memory card support, lcd display, high scan resolution etc.

I settled for hp because of their aftersales service and accessory availability.

Ready for shopping. There was a showroom nearby who describes themselves as Best in India. I have seen them extensively advertising with an actress in the media for the last few months. Drived to the showroom and gave them my choices. I was both surprised and disappointed by the result as none of the models was there for display or in stock. My search began from there 1, 2, 3, 4.. shops from two districts. Disappointment continues.. No computer sales firm has stocked any of the models other than the base model in their shops, (Yes it was in Kerala with IT corridors all over the state).

Stopped the search... I dont know how will I buy one... May be I should get it online from the company itself.. Shipping is better that Shopping - Online is better than Offline.

No comments: